Monday 11 April 2011

Ben Schoeman and Liszt

Yesterday, I went to listen to Ben Schoeman's performance as part of the promotion for his début CD release tour (at the Enoch Sontonga Conference Centre at Unisa). Should you find yourself close to one of his performances, do yourself a favour and go listen. Visit Ben's website to find out where he's performing next.



I've been following Ben Schoeman's career for a long time. I've known him for as long as I can remember - my mother and his mother were in high school together. Ben and I went to the same primary school and also had tennis lessons together (where neither of us showed much talent I'm afraid). I distinctly remember a scene that replayed itself many an afternoon. Ben would practise playing the piano while I sat close by and listened (usually with a book stashed away). In the great scheme of things not much has changed.

Ben's playing has gone from strength to strength. I can't give a technical description of the changes, but I can give my impression. When he came back from studying in Imola, Italy I heard a new depth of emotion in his playing. Now, in Ben's latest interpretation after studying in England, his playing still shows emotion, but the emotion is controlled.

I specifically enjoyed Ben's interpretation of of Liszt's Sonata in B minor, S. 178. The sonata balanced perfectly between the dramatic and the enchanted. As soon as the dramatic threatened to burst out of control and take over the piece, Ben controlled the moment and changed the direction of the music. When the sonata threatened to turn into a million specks of enchanted snowflakes, Ben once again showed his talent and solidified the sonata.

We were very lucky to have an encore where Ben played Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody number 12. I thoroughly enjoyed this - true to the spirit of the dance Ben released some of his masterful control and allowed the audience to hear the steps of the dancers. 

I look forward to listening to my copy of the CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment