Thursday 7 April 2011

Getting the (exercise) ball to stand still and the (metaphorical) ball rolling

Master's
I went to see my angel of a supervisor yesterday. I originally wanted to do a chapter a month, but my supervisor agreed to a chapter every two months. I am allowed to hand in chapters quicker, but not after the two-month deadline. The due date for the final product is January. I've also been offered some nooks and crannies at Tuks to write in should I find my home environment too distracting.

Gym
I skipped gym yesterday for a crew meet, but went today (go me!). I love my gym - no-one there looks like an athlete, a poppie, or anything other than an ordinary person. The gym is good for my self-confidence since I'm usually one of the youngest people exercising there. Some of my fellow attendees are lecturers from Tuks, so I've gotten good advice about writing the Master's. Which doesn't help if I don't apply my derrière to a chair and write.


I have an exercise programme for my magnificent "sports injury" - aka my trick knee. The weak knee is a result of a lunge mishap in rapier class. When I finally saw the orthopaedic surgeon, he agreed, but also mentioned something in the line of "fat, inactive girls" and left out the "like you". Oh well.

Today at gym I rediscovered two things:
  • stretching reveals how necessary shaving legs regularly actually is, and
  • exercise balls were invented by a sadist.
Reverse back extension
Look at the nice clipart picture above. Look how serene the lady is and how elegant she looks. Do you know what it takes to get an ordinary human being on that ball?
  1. First, take one curvy lady (that would be me). 
  2. Hold the ball in front of you and squat like a frog. 
  3. Move your knees to be at the side of the small(er) exercise ball and use your hands to steady the blessed thing. 
  4. With grace, charm and elegance, roll yourself onto the ball.
  5. Roll back and readjust your pants to be comfortable. Repeat step 4.
  6. See your reflection in the gym mirror and evaluate how much cleavage is displayed when you balance yourself using your hands. Decide that it's too much effort to readjust.
  7.  Stop looking like a turtle sunbathing on it's shell and use your core muscles to lift your legs and look like the lady in the picture.
  8. Go back to the sunbathing turtle position.
  9. Do 20 reps of steps 7 and 8.
I've decided that on the cleavage-derrière scale, I prefer looking out the window with my legs facing the gym. It's less traumatic for me.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen the ball in action. My mother uses it, and consequently my curiosity demanded that I try it out too. I realized three things that day. It is fun to sit on. My balance is not as good as I thought. Tile floors hurt.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *love* the writing style you're using! It makes me jealous and want to start my own blog. :P Well done.

    On another note, I did Yoga at a gym for a month once. And I realised something on the second day while doing a camel pose (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNNo3aArzUqPbzKAtsynum5TN1ejC6MNjrfXnfsOZ7jGODZw0s) where I ended up looking into the face of a sporting 40-something year-old. Both of us were in compromising positions - me with my cleavage in his face and him with sweat rolling up a rather pronounced boep (he was doing sit-ups in one of those sit-up chair contraptions). So, when at the gym: avoid eye contact and, as you said, look out the window with your back to the gym, it's all that keeps you sane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that it's not just me and the funny positions!

    ReplyDelete